MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE DIRECTORS OF

THE FRASER VALLEY ESTATE PLANNING COUNCIL

March 8, 2011 @ 8:30 AM

AT MANTHORPE LAW OFFICES



Present: Nick Cheng, Susan Payment, Rosalyn Manthorpe, Del Friday, David Lee, Yolanda Benoit, Laurie Daschuk

Regrets: Anne George, Charlene Taylor

  1. Call to Order / Confirmation of Agenda

The meeting was called to order by Nick Cheng at 8:44 am. The agenda was reviewed and the order was changed to accommodate a special presentation by Laurie Daschuk.


  1. Approval of Minutes

A motion to approve the minutes of the meeting of January 11, 2011 was made by Rosalyn Manthorpe. Dave Lee seconded the motion. All in favour. Motion carried.



Special Presentation on Constant Contact (Laurie Daschuk)

Laurie gave the board a “walk through” on the computer of the web based e-mail marketing software, Constant Contact.


The last “e-mail” that was sent to the membership was through Constant Contact. Laurie invited feedback from the board regarding this e-mail.


The “Event Marketing” package of Constant Contact was explored. PayPal can be added to the package, which would enable people to pay online if they wanted to attend an event. Time would be saved for both Anne and Laurie. The pro and cons were discussed, as was the nominal fee that would be incurred whenever the Event Marketing package was used.


Yolanda Benoit made a motion to amend the prior motion regarding Constant Contact (last meeting) to add that the Board gives Laurie Daschuk the discretion to add the Event Marketing Package and PayPal to Constant Contact. Dave Lee seconded the motion. All in favour. The motion was passed.





  1. President’s Report (Nick Cheng)


Upcoming AGM

Nick reminded the board of the upcoming AGM.


Nick informed the board that Rosalyn Manthorpe is the Nominating Chair. The make up of the board was reviewed. It was agreed that eight members were needed. All present agreed to remain and serve on the board. Rosalyn will ask Anne George and Charlene Taylor if they wish to continue their service on the board.


Rosalyn Manthorpe asked the board to inform her of people who may be interested in serving on the Board.


Bylaws

A review and a discussion of the bylaws took place.


To avoid the expense, the board discussed the removal of the requirement for an audit.


Rosalyn Manthorpe volunteered to revise Article 6 and draft a motion listing the changes for membership approval at the AGM.


The board wants openness and transparency in regards to the financials. This will be discussed at the next meeting.



  1. Vice President’s Report (Susan Payment)

Susan had nothing new to report.


Nick Cheng recommended a book for the business card draw to Susan by local author, Suzanne Kyra, as a keynote speaker gift. He brought a sample for the board to review. It was agreed that Nick Cheng would order 6.


Other book suggestions were made.


The Membership Referral Grand Prize was discussed. Susan to ask Laurie as to which members made referrals, so they can be entered into the contest.



  1. Treasurer’s Report (Anne George)

Nick Cheng did the Treasurer’s Report on behalf of Anne George.


The FVEPC has a current balance of $8, 410.81 in the bank. The upcoming meeting has already been paid for, however, the May meeting has not. It is approximated that it will cost $2,029.



  1. Membership (Charlene Taylor)

Charlene was unable to attend.


  1. Public Affairs (Dave Lee)

Dave informed the board that he was unable to inform the local media of our upcoming speaker, Brenda McEachern, as he did not receive her information before the media deadlines, due to the change in speakers.


Guests that attend meetings were discussed. It was decided that they should all be followed up with and invited to the next meeting. Yolanda will ask Laurie to keep a separate list of “guests” and keep them informed as to upcoming meetings.


  1. Program Committee Report (Del Friday)

Del proposed four speakers for the five FVEPC meetings for next year. She has several speakers to choose from for the fifth meeting.


One of the speakers requested an honorarium. A discussion took place on honorariums for speakers


Brenda McEachern of Canada Life will be presenting the topic of “Legacy Philanthropy” at the upcoming meeting. Del will introduce and thank the speaker.



  1. New Business (All)

There was no new business.



10. Future Meetings

The next membership dinner meeting is on March 15, 2011 and the next board meeting on May 10, 2011.



  1. Adjournment

The meeting adjourned at 10:03 am.